New: The City has been awarded a 3-year grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). $3.4M to address lead hazards in 130 units occupied by low-income households and $180,000 in supplemental funding to address other health hazards in these units and create capacity to implement a healthy homes network.
If you are interested in applying for grant assistance please contact our office to schedule an appointment with our staff; or complete and submit a lead paint program application that best suits you and we will follow-up.
Please access the paperwork (PDF) to join the contractor list. You may submit the paperwork according to the instructions enclosed, however please note, it may be several weeks before you are contacted. It will also be several months before any physical work begins.
What is Lead Paint?
Lead is a poisonous metal that may cause health problems, especially in young children. When lead gets into the body, it can cause damage to the brain, the kidneys, nerves and blood.
Lead may also cause behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases, death. Some symptoms of lead poisoning may include headaches, stomachaches, nausea, tiredness and irritability. Many children who are lead poisoned show no symptoms.
Children may be lead poisoned by:
Putting their hands and other lead contaminated items in their mouths, such as toys
Crawling around on floors that may have lead-paint dust
Touching lead-paint dust from sanding old paint or renovations of old homes
Playing outside in lead contaminated soil
Lead can be dangerous when:
There is chipping and peeling paint inside the home
Lead painted surfaces rub against each other, such as windows and doors opening and closing
Children play in soil and dirt outside a home that is lead painted
Contaminated soil is tracked in the home on shoes or pets
For more lead poisoning information, please access the following links: