R

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
Railroad Square - Railroad Square is located at the corner of Main and Canal Street, named because of its location near the railroad tracks. It was a festive area where tourists and visitors could stay in the Nashua Hotel, established in 1824.

Rainbow Circle - Rainbow Circle is located between Pennichuck Brook and Bowers Pond. A rainbow is an arc of spectral colors, usually identified as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet, that appears in the sky opposite the sun as a result of the refractive dispersion of sunlight in drops of rain or mist.

Rainbow Court - Rainbow Court is located near Cold Brook and Salmon Brook. Rainbow Court, like Rainbow Circle, is named after a rainbow, which is a similar arc or band produced by a prism or by iridescence. Its physical characteristics can also be described by the grade of colors.

Randolph Street - Edward Randolph, cousin to Robert Tufton Mason, and the legal heir of John Mason, owned land in Nashua around 1640-1715. This land was later sold to Puritan merchants and landowners coming overseas from England.

Ranger Road - When the French War broke out in 1775, an expedition was planned against Crown Point and New Hampshire raised a regiment of 500 men. Mr. Blanchard was appointed colonel of the famous Rangers, under the command of Rogers and Stark.troops were on their way to occupy Castle William and Mary, the fort at Newcastle that protected Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine.

Reeds Court
- Abijah Reed, a Dunstable native, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War in 1776. He was under the command of Captain William Burron, who raised a company for Canada and served alongside other residents of Dunstable. By the end of the war, the regiment had lost many of their men.

Regal Drive - Regal is located behind Boire Field, off of exit 7 and is in the royalty district. A regal relates to a monarch or member of royalty. It can also mean belonging to or befitting a monarch, such as regal attire.

Regent Drive - Regent Drive is named as part of the “royal” neighborhood theme and is located behind the airport next to Squire Drive. A regent is one who rules during the minority, absence, or disability of a monarch. A regent may also be a governor.

Resurrection Circle - Resurrection Circle, located behind Resurrection church off of Broad Street, is religiously named. It is located next to Parish Hill Drive and Christian Drive and the name relates to the Christian belief in the dying and resurrection of Christ.

River Pines Road - River Pines Road is located in a development along the Nashua River that is part of a themed section of Nashua. All of the roads are named after the Nashua River, and the trees alongside the river inspired River Pines’ name

Revere Street - Revere Street was founded in honor of Paul Revere, known for his famous ride when the British were coming. He brought a message to Portsmouth from Boston, informing the colonials of the British ban of exporting military stores to America and that

Rhode Island Avenue - Rhode Island Avenue was named after former Governor William Burnet of New Hampshire. One of the committee members who came from Boston met him at the borders of Rhode Island, and convinced him to go into politics.

Porter Avenue - John-Fitz Porter of Portsmouth, N.H, the nephew of David Porter, was a Union general in the American Civil War. Before the Civil War, he served during the Mexican War and was an instructor at West Point (1849-55). At the outbreak of the Civil War, Porter was made a brigadier general of volunteers and in 1862, he distinguished himself as a corps commander in the Peninsular campaign, especially during the Seven Days battles.

Rice Avenue - In 1894 Herbert E. Rice opened Rice’s Pharmacy, which has been in business for over 100 years. The family’s connection to Nashua led to the naming of Rice Avenue, located off of Lake Street

Rice Street - On April 1, 1844, after the separation of Nashville, a new church was organized under the name of The First Methodist Episcopal Church in Nashua. Reverend E. A. Rice, of Lowell, Massachusetts, headed the church for the first three months.

Rogers Street - Rogers Street, located off of Concord Street, was named after Nashua’s second mayor, Freeman S. Rogers, who served from 1855-1856.

Richmond Street - In 1801, P.O. Richmond was the landlord of the tavern villages, making him a prominent member of Nashua. For 50 years, Richmond, Mark Gillis, Gilman Scripture, and others made this house renowned all over New England for hospitality and good cheer.

Ridge Road/Street - For many years, John Ridge manufactured files in a small shop on Amherst Street before expanding to other locations. In 1892, John Ridge and John B. Grover began business under the name of the Nashua Rasp company at Edgeville, creating a business that transformed the economy of Nashua until it closed in 1894.

Riverside Circle - Riverside Circle is located inside the River Pines development near the Waterview Trail. The name relates to the Nashua River and the fact that it is along the “side” of the river.

Riverside Street - Riverside Street follows Mill Pond, inside Mine Falls. This is the only main road that leads to Nashua High School South and was named after the pond that flows from the Nashua River.

Riverview Avenue - Riverview Avenue gets its name from its location on the Merrimack River and is located next to Riverside Avenue. It sits on the water’s edge of the Merrimack and provides a spectacular view of the river.

Riverview Circle - Riverview Circle is located off the Charles Bancroft Highway on Route 3A, and its name relates to the area. Located on the Merrimack River near the Litchfield/Nashua town line, houses are afforded a magnificent view of the river.

River Road River Road runs off of Lowell Road on Route 3A from Hudson and got its name from the Limit Brook, which it runs along it. One of the landmarks in the area is the Green Meadow Golf Club.

Riverview Street- Riverview Street is located behind the D.W. Highway in South Nashua and is in a neighborhood that runs along the Merrimack River. Laton Street, Tolles Street, and Wood Street surround Riverview, and the name relates to the natural surroundings of the area.

Robinson Road - Robinson Road is named after the late Robinson family, prominent in Nashua. Sarah J. Robinson and Horatio A. Robinson were parents to Allen Robinson who lived from May 25, 1801 to March 30, 1877. The family is now buried in the Nashua Cemetery.

Robin Hood Road - Robin Hood is located in Sherwood Forest and was named after the story of Robin Hood, not unlike other streets in the area. Friar Tuck Lane, Nottingham Drive, and Nightingale Road are also in the area, and the close proximity to Sherwood Forest suggests a parallel between the story and the location.

Roby Road - Luther A. Roby contributed thousands of feet of lumber to help build some of the greatest clipper ships built in this country. This Nashua native shipped his timber for ships, wharves, and piling by freight until the early 1890’s.

Roby Street - In 1890, Charles and William D. Swart, the descendants of Luther A. Roby, owned a firm, which manufactured along Salmon Brook. The brook provided their main source of power and they made wooden boxes as well as a wide variety of other millwork products. The company was incorporated under the name of the American Box and Lumber Company, which stayed in business until 1937.

Rocky Hill Road - Rocky Hill Road is located within the Nashua woods, just outside Sherwood Forest. This steep and rocky road, built on a hill, is connected to Flintlock Road, off of Harris Road. Its steep feature prompted developers to name it Rocky Hill.

Rock Island Road - Rock Island Road is located on Tristle Brook, an outlet of the Nashua River. Erie Circle, Chesapeake Road, and Tristle Brook Road, near Rock Island Road, relate to various locations in the United States.

Rogers Street - Robert Rogers and Col. Stark were leaders in the famous Rogers Rangers. In 1755, when the French War broke out, they gathered 500 soldiers and prepared for battle.

Rosemary Court - Rosemary Court is named after the herb, rosemary. It is an aromatic evergreen Mediterranean shrub (Rosmarinus officinalis) having light blue or pink flowers and grayish-green leaves that is used in cooking and perfumery.

Roseann Circle - In 1984, Roseann Circle, located off Hazel Avenue, was named after the developer’s wife or daughter.

Ross Street - Lewis H. Ross from Auburn, Maine was the son to Allen and Anna Ross. He owned one of the largest furniture stores in the state of New Hampshire, E. M. Chase Co. (Chase’s) which is located in Manchester.

Royal Crest Drive - Royal Crest Drive is the main road to the Royal Crest apartment complex, located off exit 1 across from the Sheraton. This street, like many in the area, is part of a development with a “royal” theme.

Royal Oak Drive -This street was named in relation to the oak trees. Oaks are deciduous or evergreen trees or, rarely, shrubs, of the genus Quercus in the beech family, Fagaceae. They are the most important and widespread hardwood trees in the northern temperate region, occurring throughout North America and Eurasia and in higher elevations extending south into northwestern South America, Cuba, North Africa, and Indonesia. Of the approximately 450 species of oaks, 60 or more, some shrublike in form, are native to the United States and Canada. Oaks dominate the central and southern hardwood forests of the United States, and about 20 species in the eastern United States are commercially important. Oaks furnish more native timber annually than any other broad-leaved tree and in total lumber production are second only to the conifers. Oak lumber is used for flooring and wood trim in home construction and for railroad ties, barrels, boats, furniture, and fuel, including charcoal. Other oak products include cork, which is produced primarily from the bark of the European cork oak, Q. suber; tannin, a substance used in making leather, from the bark of such trees as the daimyo oak, Q. dentata, of the Orient; dyes, such as quercitron, which is derived from the bark of the black oak, Q. velutina; formerly, inks and dyes from oak galls, which are pea- to egg-sized growths rich in tannic acid, formed by oaks around developing gall-wasp larvae; and acorns, which are fed to hogs, used as human food if of the sweet variety, or, if from the valonia oak, Q. macrolepis, used as a source of tannin.

Ruby Road - Ruby Road is named for the gem and is near Emerald Road. Oaks are deciduous or evergreen trees or, rarely, shrubs, of the genus Quercus in the beech family, Fagaceae. They are the most important and widespread hardwood trees in the northern temperate region, occurring throughout North America and Eurasia and in higher elevations extending south into northwestern South America, Cuba, North Africa, and Indonesia. Of the approximately 450 species of oaks, 60 or more, some shrublike in form, are native to the United States and Canada. Oaks dominate the central and southern hardwood forests of the United States, and about 20 species in the eastern United States are commercially important. Oaks furnish more native timber annually than any other broad-leaved tree and in total lumber production are second only to the conifers. Oak lumber is used for flooring and wood trim in home construction and for railroad ties, barrels, boats, furniture, and fuel, including charcoal. Other oak products include cork, which is produced primarily from the bark of the European cork oak, Q. suber; tannin, a substance used in making leather, from the bark of such trees as the daimyo oak, Q. dentata, of the Orient; dyes, such as quercitron, which is derived from the bark of the black oak, Q. velutina; formerly, inks and dyes from oak galls, which are pea- to egg-sized growths rich in tannic acid, formed by oaks around developing gall-wasp larvae; and acorns, which are fed to hogs, used as human food if of the sweet variety, or, if from the valonia oak, Q. macrolepis, used as a source of tannin.

Russell Avenue/Street - Jason Russell, a resident of the area who fought in the American War for the militia, inspired developers to name the street in his honor.

Ryan Way - Ryan Way was named for a relative of this neighborhood's developer.