A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
A Street: A Street was designated as mill housing for one of the Nashua mills.

Abbott Street: Abbott Street was named after Daniel Abbott, who moved to the upper community of Dunstable in 1802. He was a Harvard graduate and opened up a law practice in the area. After he became a civic leader, Abbott proceeded to rename Dunstable as “Nashua Village” during a speech on July 4, 1803. He is often regarded as the “Father of Nashua.”

Aberdeen Lane: Aberdeen Lane was named after the city Aberdeen in northeastern Scotland, on the North Sea.  It is Scotland's third largest city. Aberdeen is a major fishing port and granite-quarrying center. It is also the financial and administrative center for Britain's North Sea oil industry. Aberdeen became a royal burgh in 1176 and was a leading port for trade with England and the Low Countries as early as the 14th cent. The English burned the town in 1336. It was a stronghold of royalist and Episcopal sentiment in the religious wars of the 17th cent. Aberdeen is noted for its granite Cathedral of St. Machar. The Univ. of Aberdeen includes King's College (founded 1493) and Marischal College (founded 1593).

Academy Drive: Located in the college district in North Nashua, Academy Drive was named because of its close proximity to the school streets.

Acacia Street: Acacia Street, located in the tree street district is named for Acacia, a spiny tree or shrub of the genus Acacia.  It is a member of the pea family foreign to the United States.  

Adams Street: Sherman Adams, for whom Adams Street is named, was the governor of New Hampshire in the 1940s. After graduating from Dartmouth College, he became a major political figure, mainly because of his support for President Dwight D. Eisenhower. He was a progressive governor, evidenced when he pressed for conservation of the state’s woodlands. Adams is also known for reorganizing much of New Hampshire’s state government.

Aetna Court: Aetna Court was named after Aetna Incorporated. The company is a provider of health insurance and related benefits to various customers in the United States and one of their locations is in Nashua.

Airport Road: Airport Road is a small street located in North Nashua that leads into Boire Field Airport, which has been in operation for about 67 years.  The area known as Nashua Municipal Airport and Boire Field is located west of the city of Nashua in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire and the total acreage within the boundaries of the airport study area is approximately 355 acres. The airport is roughly bounded on the north by the Boston and Maine railroad track, east by Charron Avenue, south by Pine Hill Road, University Drive and Perimeter Road and northwest by Deerwood Drive. The airport is southwest of Route 101A, the historic east-west route through the region, and west of the F.E. Everett Turnpike and the Merrimack River. Historically, the area was used for farming and historic photographs show that the area was predominantly open grazing land. The airport property is on sandy soil, with a scrub pine growth undesirable for farming, which may have contributed to the decision to locate the airport in the area.

Alder Drive: This street is named after any of the various deciduous shrubs or trees of the Alnus, native chiefly to northern temperate regions and having alternate simple toothed leaves and tiny fruits in woody, cone-like catkins.

Aldgate Drive: This street is named after Aldgate, a gateway through London Wall from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End.

Algonquin Lane: One of the Indian tribe streets, Algonquin Lane, is named for the Algonquin Tribe, which includes such natives as the Souhegans, Penacooks, and Abenaki. Algonquin Lane is in North Nashua, next to Lincoln Park.

Alice Drive: This street was named after Nashua’s first elected female Alderman, Alice Dube (1969).

Allds Street: Allds Street is named after Miss Allds’ house, which was located on the street before it was torn down in 1816.

Alpine Street: Alpine Street was named for the Alps and/or their inhabitants.  The Alps are a mountain system of south-central Europe, about 805 km (500 mi) long and 161 km (100 mi) wide, curving in an arc from the Riviera on the Mediterranean Sea through northern Italy and southeast France, Switzerland, southern Germany, and Austria and into the northwest part of the Balkan Peninsula. The highest peak is Mont Blanc, 4,810.2 m (15,771 ft), on the French-Italian border.

Alstead Street: Alstead Street was named for a New Hampshire town. Alstead is a town located in Cheshire County, New Hampshire. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 1,944.

Amalia Drive: Amalia Steet is one of many name streets. The name is of Latin origin with the meaning of “hardworking”.

Amble Road: The developer for Amble Road liked the name and its definition, which fit with a general theme.  The word amble means a short, leisurely stroll and relates to the curvy road.  

Amherst Park/Terrace/Street: These three streets were named after Lord Jeffrey Amherst, commander-in-chief of the colonials during the French and Indian War. The town of Amherst, NH was also bears his name. Many large farms operated off of Amherst St. in the 18th and 19th centuries because Dunstable was once a farming community. Amherst St. is also the location of the Greeley house.

Amory Street: Amory Street was named after Amory, Mississippi, a city of about 7,000 people in Monroe County, Mississippi.  Amory is the first planned city in Mississippi. The Kansas City, Memphis & Birmingham Railroad needed a mid-point between Memphis, Tennessee and Birmingham, Alabama for their locomotives, and they laid out the new town of Amory in 1887. People from nearby Cotton Gin Port on the Tombigbee River abandoned their town and moved to Amory.

Anders Lane: Anders Lane is one of the many name streets. The name is Scandinavian, the equivalent of Greek Andreas, "manly".

Andover Down: Andover Down is named for Andover Down in Hampshire, England.  The terrain of Hampshire is undulating and is crossed by two chalk downs, rising in places to more than 800 ft (244 m). The principal rivers are the Test, the Itchen, and the Avon. Hampshire is an agricultural county, devoted to corn production and dairy farming. Market gardening is also significant. There is oil refining at Fawley and aircraft engineering at Farnborough. Gosport, Southampton, and Portsmouth are three of Britain's leading ports. Evidence of prehistoric and Roman settlement is found in the county. Hampshire was once part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Wessex and has numerous historical and literary associations.

Antrim Street: Antrim Street was named for the Antrim Borough in Northern Ireland. It is an area of Ireland that many Irish immigrants came from before settling in Nashua.

Anvil Drive: Anvil Drive is named for an anvil, a manufacturing tool consisting of a hard and massive block of stone or metal used as a support for hammering or chiseling other objects. Anvils have been used since late Neolithic times by smiths of all kinds for metal work, although the tool was also used in much earlier epochs for stone and flint work.

Apache Road: Apache Road is part of the Indian Street district and is located in North Nashua next to Indian Rock Road. The Apache are a Native American people inhabiting the southwest United States and northern Mexico. Various Apache tribes offered strong resistance to encroachment on their territory in the latter half of the 19th century. Present-day Apache populations are located in Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.

Appaloosa Place: Appaloosa Place is in the Horse street district and was named after the Appaloosa horses. The Appaloosa horse are a breed of light horse developed in the United States by the Nez Percé of Idaho from a horse that originated in Asia and was popular in Europe during the Middle Ages. Lewis and Clark found the breed in the possession of the Nez Percé in 1805. The Appaloosa is characterized by a spotted pattern of markings; it most commonly has solid-colored foreparts and small, dark, round or oval spots over the loin and hips. Famed for its intelligence, speed, stamina, and endurance, it is an outstanding stock and show horse of great popularity.

Apple Tree Green: Apple Tree Green includes the Sky Meadow Country Club and runs along the Apple Tree Green on Sky Meadow’s 18-hole championship golf course. Apple trees are nearby the course and it was named for the many orchards in and around the Nashua area.

April Drive: April Drive was named after the month of April and is also located next to the other month streets of March and June.  The name is derived from the Latin aprilis, either from the Latin word aperire which means "to open", probably referring to growing plants in spring, or from the Etruscan name Apru for Aphrodite.  April is often associated with the end to winter.

Archery Lane: This street was named after the sport of archery which involves shooting with a bow and arrow.  This was an important military and hunting skill before the introduction of gunpowder. England's Charles II fostered archery as sport, establishing in 1673 the world's oldest continuous archery tournament, the Ancient Scorton Arrow Contest. Clubs mushroomed throughout Europe from the late 17th cent. A revived interest in the United States led to the formation of the National Archery Association in 1879. Though field archery (using bows without sights), flight shooting (for distance), and crossbow are competitive sports, the primary international contests involve target shooting, the object of which is to score points with a specified number of arrows aimed at the target's center—a “pinhole” dot surrounded by nine concentric colored circles. The value of hits decreases from the pinhole to the outermost circle. Although archery competitions were occasional Olympic events until 1920, they took an official place on the program only in 1972. The Fédération Internationale de Tir à l'Arc (FITA; est. 1930) governs international competition. In recent decades, the bow and arrow has also regained popularity as a hunting weapon.

Arrow Lane: Arrow Lane is named after arrows which are missiles having straight thin shafts with a pointed heads at one end and often flight-stabilizing vanes at the other.  They are meant to be shot from a bow.

Arthurs Lane: Arthurs Lane was named after the grandfather of the developer contracted to create a small development of three cul-de-sacs.

Ascot Park: This street is named after Ascot, a town in Windsor and Maidenhead, South central England. The famous horse races instituted by Queen Anne in 1711 are held annually in June on Ascot Heath. Ascot remains an important social and fashion event, attended by the royal family.

Ash Street/Court: Ash Street and Ash Court are located in the tree street development in downtown Nashua and were named after the abundance of Ash trees that were found in and around the Nashua Area. The ashes are usually medium to large trees, mostly deciduous though a few subtropical species are evergreen. The leaves are opposite (rarely in whorls of three), and mostly pinnately-compound, simple in a few species.

Ashby Circle: Ashby Circle was named for a Massachusetts town located in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. As of the 2000 census, the town of Ashby had a total population of 2,845. Ashby was first settled in 1676 and was officially incorporated in 1767.

Ashland Street: Ashland Street was named for a New Hampshire town located in Grafton County, New Hampshire. As of the 2000 census, the town of Ashland had a total population of 1,955.

Aspen Court: Aspen Court was one of the tree streets in Nashua that is not downtown. Aspens are trees of the willow family and comprise a section of the poplar genus Populus sect. Populus. There are six species in the section, one of them atypical, and one hybrid.  The five typical aspens are all native to cold regions with cool summers, in the far north of the Northern Hemisphere, extending south only at high altitudes in mountains. The White Poplar by contrast is native to much warmer regions, with hot, dry summers. They are all medium-sized deciduous trees reaching 15-25 m tall, exceptionally to 30 m.

Aster Court: Aster court is located in the flower district in Nashua. The Aster genus is most valuable for its well known and numerous cultivated ornamentals such as asters, daisies, chrysanthemums, marigolds, and zinnias.

Aston Street: Located in North Nashua on the border of Hollis, this street is named after Aston, a district of Birmingham in England. During the Old English period, as the population in a village grew then some folk left to make clearings in forests, woods and heathland and start new settlements. Aston was one such place. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Estone, meaning the east farmstead, village, manor or estate.

In 1066, Aston was one of the many manors held by Earl Edwin.

The Domesday Book indicated that Aston had a church, a mill, a wood which was three miles long and half a mile broad, and eight hides. The population was made up of 30 villeins, twelve bordars and one serf - and their families.

Over the years its name changed Estone, Aston, Aston Manor and finally became part of Birmingham in 1911.

Atherton Avenue: Atherton Avenue was named for Dr. Ella Blaylock Atherton, Nashua’s most famous female doctor, and her husband, Capt. Henry B. Atherton. They married during the Civil War while Ella was still in medical school and their house stands on nearby Main St.  Captain Atherton moved it from Spring St. to Main St. to preserve it.

Auburn Street: Auburn Street was named for Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn University opened 1859 as East Alabama Male College, reorganized 1872 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama; became coeducational 1892; renamed Alabama Polytechnic Institute 1899, Auburn Univ. 1960. It has technical, engineering, and architectural schools as well as a liberal arts college and a graduate school.

Autumn Glen Circle: Autumn Glen Circle was named after a new development in Nashua off of Conant Road and next to the Maplewood developments. It was named for the beautiful foliage in the fall.

Autumn Leaf Drive: Autumn Leaf Drive was named for the autumn leaves that change many colors in Nashua during the fall. Nashua, as well as New Hampshire, is renowned for its autumn foliage.

Avon Drive: Avon Drive was named for Avon, a former county in Southwest England, bordering the Severn estuary and the Bristol Channel. It was created in 1974 from S Gloucestershire, Bristol, and N Somerset and was dissolved in 1996 into four unitary authorities: South Gloucestershire, Bristol, North Somerset, and Bath and North East Somerset.

Azalea Lane: Azalea Lane is in the flower street development in Nashua and its name comes from the Azalea flower, a moderately poisonous rhododendron.  Azaleas are flowering shrubs making up part of the genus Rhododendron. Originally azaleas were classed as a different genus of plant, but now they are recognised as two of the eight sub-genera of rhododendrons - subgenus Pentanthera typified by Rhododendron nudiflorum and subgenus Tsutsusi typified by Rhododendron tsutsusi.  There are deciduous azaleas, and evergreen azaleas. One of the major differences between azaleas and the rest of the rhododendron family is their size. Another is their flower growth. Rhododendrons grow their flowers in clusters, while most azaleas have terminal blooms (one flower per flower stem). However, they have so many stems that during the flowering season they are a solid mass of colour. Azaleas are recognised by these flowers blooming all at once, in a showy display for a month or two in spring. The exception to this rule is a small group of azaleas which grow their flowers in tight terminal clusters that look like little balls of colour.

Aztec Road: Aztec Road is located in the Indian Tribe street district of North Nashua, next to Lincoln Park. It was named after one the Mexican indigenous tribes. The Aztecs were members of a people of central Mexico whose civilization was at its height at the time of the Spanish conquest in the early 16th century.  They arrived in the Valley of Mexico from the north toward the end of the 12th cent. and until the founding of their capital, Tenochtitlán (c.1325) were a poor, nomadic tribe absorbing the culture of nearby states. For the next century they maintained a precarious political autonomy while paying tribute to neighboring tribes, but by alliance, treachery, and conquest during the 15th and early 16th cent. they became a powerful political and cultural group. To the north they established hegemony over the Huastec, to the south over the Mixtec and Zapotec and even ventured as far as Guatemala. Their subjugation of the people of Tlaxcala in the mountains to the east was bloody but only intermittent, and the Tlaxcala people later became allies of the Spanish against the Aztec. Only in the west, where the Tarascan Indians severely defeated them, did the Aztec completely fail to conquer.