City Clerk's Office

The City Clerk’s Office is responsible for the recording and management of all vital records involving births, marriages, and deaths occurring within the City. The Office also conducts all local, state and national elections; issues many types of licenses including dog licenses, hawkers and peddlers licenses, raffle permits, and entertainment licenses; and maintains many of the City’s most important records.

Internally, the Office of the City Clerk views itself as an information source and communication conduit between the general public and city government.

Overnight Parking - City Streets
Overnight parking on city streets is prohibited under city ordinances except within designated locations within the city’s downtown area. For information about the downtown, overnight parking pilot program, including the streets where overnight parking is permitted and the residents who are eligible to acquire annual permits, please read over the Parking Ordinance (PDF). Permits may be applied for at the City Clerk's Office.

Dog License Renewals
NH State Law: 2016 - 2017 dog license renewals are now overdue

The Office of the City Clerk has been issuing dog tags and licenses for the 2016 - 2017 licensing year. All dogs 4 months or older, living in the State of New Hampshire, must be licensed by the owner or keeper of the dog, with the city or town clerk in the community where the dog resides. The new license year began May 1, 2016 and will end on April 30, 2017. Between June 1 and June 20, the City Clerk's Office will forward the list of those owners or keepers of dogs that have not licensed their dogs, pursuant to state law (RSA 466:1), to the Nashua Police Department, and the Police Department will begin issuing $32 civil forfeitures to the owner or keeper of each unlicensed dog (RSA 466:14). In addition to the $32 fine, owners or keepers of unlicensed dogs may be subject to late charges ($1 per month), and/or court fees and will still be required to license their dog(s). 

State law requires that before a license is issued, the owner or keeper of a dog must furnish proof that the dog has been vaccinated against rabies. In addition, the annual license fee is less for a dog that has been spayed or neutered. Evidence of the procedure needs to be supplied to the Clerk. Feel free to contact the City Clerk at 589-3010 if you wish to determine whether or not this information is already on file for your pet.

Landlords Provide Notice

  • NH RSA 540 Requires that Certain Landlords Provide Notice of NH Resident Authorized to Accept Service of Legal Proceeding
540:1-b Landlord's Agent Required
An owner of restricted property, as defined in RSA 540:1-a, shall...within 30 days of becoming the owner or within 30 days of the effective date of this section, whichever occurs later, file a statement with the town or city clerk of the municipality in which the property is located that provides the name, address, and telephone number of a person within the state who is authorized to accept service of process for any legal proceeding brought against the owner relating to the restricted property. Such person authorized to accept service may be the owner of the premises (if a NH resident).

View the law and access Code Enforcement Emergency Information Form (PDF) which may be used to comply with this law in the City of Nashua is available here. Nashua does not charge a fee for this filing.